The epoch-making GOELRO plan (1920) brought about a breakthrough in the development of the power industry in Soviet Russia. In the initial period of the implementation of the plan (1920-1924) erection activities were performed by workers trained directly on the job and supervised by engineers allocated by the equipment manufacturing factories. However, in the following years specialized installation organizations were established: a joint stock company named Teplo I Sila (Heat and Power) established in 1924; Kotloturbina, est. in 1930. The installation organizations that were part of the Kotloturbina formed an erection engineering trust in 1933. This trust had a division specializing in the installation of heat power equipment, located in Leningrad (now St.Petersburg). During the World War II, from 1941 to 1944 the enterprise was engaged in the dismantling and evacuation of equipment and machinery from the European Part of the Soviet Union to Siberia and Ural and their re-installation there to ensure a normal operation of the defense industry.
An order by the State Defense Committee, of April 16, 1944, merged the Leningrad enterprise with one based in Chelyabinsk as an All-Union Installation Trust 'Lenpromenergomontazh', which was later renamed 'Sevzapenergomontazh' (Trest Sevzapenergomontazh or SZEM in Russian).
In its first decade the Trest SZEM is assigned the momentous task of the restoration of power capacities destroyed during the war, as well as of the construction of new facilities, not only in Leningrad, but in the Ural region, in the Far East, in the Baltic region and in Belorussia. And this task is done successfully.
In the following years a qualitative change occurs in the development of the power industry, which results in an increase in single capacities of power units and a rise of the initial steam ratings to supercritical levels. At this time major erection divisions emerge in Leningrad, Ufa, Narva, Riga, Vilnius, Kirov, Arсhangelsk, and later in Komi, Karelia, Leningrad oblast, Murmansk oblast, Vologda oblast, Novgorod oblast and Kalinin (now Tver) oblast. In Leningrad an up-to-date welding laboratory, a commissioning division and an experimental welding electrode works are built, and in Ivangorod – a factory manufacturing boilers and accessories.
A state-of-the-art erection technique is successfully developed, one by large modules (units), with modularization up to 90% and more. A high-alloyed and austenite steel welding practice is designed and applied. Using these know-hows the Trest SZEM builds and puts into operation the major heat power plants: Lithuanian HPP (1800 MW), Estonian HPP (1600 MW), Baltic HPP (1624 MW), Kirishi HPP (2100 MW), as well as the Northern and Southern HPPs in Leningrad; Pechora and Cherepovets HPPs, heat plants in Riga, Petrozavodsk, Cherepovets, Vilnius, Severodvinsk, Syktyvkar, Kirov, Tallin and many other locations.
The Trest SZEM becomes a leading installation enterprise in the system of the Ministry of Energy, and in 1972 for its accomplishments in power construction the Trest SZEM's working team is awarded Lenin order, then the supreme reward for organizations. From 1970 the Trest SZEM's personnel are involved in nuclear power projects. Within a short time an efficient team of fitters is formed at the construction of Kola NPP (located beyond the Arctic circle), who ensure fail-safe commissioning of four nuclear power units equipped with WWER-440 reactors. Later a bigger team takes part in putting into operation two 1000MW power units at Kalinin NPP. The Trest SZEM's personnel are engaged in erection activities at the Armenian and Balakovo NPPs. In 1971 at Kirishi HPP, for the first time in the history of domestic power engineering, a 300MW power unit with a pressurized gastight steam generator with a capacity of 1000 t/h is erected. In 1975 in association with the Energomontazhproyekt Institute the Trest SZEM develops a unit installation technique for Severodvinsk HPP-2. In the period of 1980-1984 at the Southern HPP in Leningrad the biggest heat & power units with 250MW turbines are installed, and in 1984-1986 at Cherepovets Metallurgic Plant one-of-a-kind equipment of the most powerful blast furnace in the world is installed and put into service by the Trest SZEM's personnel, ahead of schedule.
Totally, for 62 years the Trest SZEM has put into operation 565 turbine generators with an aggregate output of 25 525 MW amounting to 10% of all capacity in service in the Soviet Union, 1316 steam generators with an aggregate output of 121 300 tons of steam per hour and 296 water boilers with an aggregate output of 23 821 Gcal/h. At the same time the Trest SZEM and its divisions performed a tremendous amount of work on the installation and overhauling of power facilities at largest pulp & paper, oil processing, metallurgic and machinery production plants of the North-West of the country.
Since the early 60s of the past century, the Trest SZEM experts have participated in technical assistance programs undertaken in various countries. The Trest SZEM personnel have been engaged in power projects in India, Vietnam, China, Poland, Iran, Mongolia, Algeria, Yemen, Argentine, Cuba, Yugoslavia. In the 1970-1980s its installation divisions put into operation on a turn-key basis power plants in Iraq and Nigeria. The Trest SZEM's personnel have taken part in the construction of nuclear power plants in Czechoslovakia, Finland, Bulgaria and Hungary. In the recent decades the Trest SZEM divisions' specialists have been involved in installation and manufacturing of equipment for customers from Germany, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Finland and Iran. Steam generators have also been installed in Iraq and Nigeria.
In July 1993, the All-Union Installation Trust 'Sevzapenergomontazh' (Trest SZEM) transformed into the Private Joint Stock Company 'Trest Sevzapenergomontazh'. The former divisions of the Trest SZEM have become joint stock companies, too. However, the most important task on our agenda today is to preserve and multiply the achievements of the Trest SZEM, further to develop its honourable traditions founded more than 60 years ago, and jointly to carry the good name of the Trest Sevzapenergomontazh.
The Trest SZEM has entered the XXIst century led by General Director Vladimir Nikolaevich Privalov. In this period the Trest SZEM affiliated enterprises were among the first ones in Russia to start to erect modern power plants based on a combined cycle (steam & gas) technology, such as the two PGU-450 power units of Northwest HPP (1999-2006) and the first PGU-450 unit of Kaliningrad HPP-2 (2003-2005). Later from 2006 to 2008 the Trest SZEM erection companies' manpower installed PGU-450 heat recovery plants of unit 3 of Mosenergo Co. HPP-27, and performed a complex of works on installation of heat equipment at PGU-450 unit 11 of HPP-21 and PGU-450 unit 4 of Mosenergo Co. HPP-27. In 2008 Trest SZEM won a tender and got awarded general contracting in the construction and commissioning project of of Pravoberezhny HPP PGU-450 unit 2 of TGK-1 Co. Nevsky branch in St.-Petersburg.
For already more than 70 years Trest Sevzapenergomontazh has been building the country's energy base, without which no modern society is conceivable. Numerous achievements and awards of Trest SZEM give us the full right to be proud of our company.